Gather around, shoe aficionados! Remember when Carrie Bradshaw claimed, “Men I may not know, but shoes, shoes I know!”? Well, let’s put that to the test. Who among us is familiar with the meteoric rise of platform mules? You know, those heels that somehow combine the stability of a brick with the aesthetics of an architectural wonder? Yes, those! Let’s take a quirky stroll through time to unravel the tale of this iconic shoe.
Platform Mules: The OG Footwear of Ancient Times
First things first, let’s debunk the myth that platform mules are the creation of a 90s shoe designer who had too much espresso one morning. In fact, the idea can be traced back to ancient civilizations. Picture this: 200 BC, a sassy Roman woman teetering around in wooden-soled footwear, dubbed ‘kothorni’, elevating herself both physically and socially. Flash forward to 16th century Venice, where the precursors to platform mules, ‘chopines’, were all the rage amongst aristocratic women, some as high as 20 inches. (No kidding, talk about looking down on people!)
Evolution Through the Eras:
Fast forward to the 1970s. As bell bottoms swayed and disco balls spun, platform mules made a powerful comeback, this time with more flair, more glitter, and a touch more stability. (Thank goodness!)
The 90s? Ah, the beloved era of the Spice Girls, ‘Friends’ and, you guessed it, the resurgence of platform mules. The Spice Girls, in particular, could often be spotted teetering on whopping platforms, crooning about what they really, really want (probably a foot massage, just a guess).
Styling the Modern-Day Platform Mule:
Now, how to style these towering wonders without looking like you’ve timewarped from a Shakespearean play?
- Casual Outings: Think a flirty sundress paired with tan platform mules, perfect for that farmers market run or a brunch date. Just avoid the cobblestone streets or you’ll end up recreating a Monty Python skit.
- Date Night: A sultry slip dress paired with black or red mules? It screams elegance with a dash of “Yeah, I’m THAT confident.”
- Special Occasions: Picture a sleek jumpsuit, paired with metallic boots or platform mules, turning heads at every corner. Because why shouldn’t your shoes be the star of the show?
- Quirky Work Look: Yes, even the nine-to-five grind can use the zing of platform mules. Pair them with wide-legged trousers and a tucked-in blouse. Your colleagues will be too busy admiring your shoes to notice you borrowed their lunch from the fridge.
- Weekend Getaway: Think ripped denim shorts, a relaxed boho top, and natural-toned platform mules. Top it off with an oversized floppy hat and sunnies for that “I’m-on-vacation-but-still-fashion-forward” vibe.
- The Sophisticated Artist: For an artsy day out, perhaps at a gallery opening, pair your platform mules with corset top, a tucked-in turtleneck, and a statement belt. A chic beret might just be the cherry on top.
- Casual Friday at Work: Mix professionalism with pizazz. Sport a midi-length pencil skirt, a casual tee, and a statement necklace, all anchored by your trusty platform mules. Who said workwear had to be boring?
- Festival Fun: Going to an outdoor concert or festival? Pair your platform mules with a playful romper, loads of layered necklaces, and a fringed crossbody bag. Add a dash of glitter to your makeup for that extra sparkle as you dance away.
- Chic City Explorer: Heading out for a day in the city? Style a pair of high-waisted trousers with a cropped top. Throw on a tailored blazer and complete the look with your platform mules for that metropolitan flair.
- Edgy Night Out: Grab a pair of black leather leggings, a sequined or metallic top, and layer with a moto jacket. Slide into your platform mules for an edgy, yet glamorous night on the town.
Now, as much as we love platform mules, even we would advise caution against wearing them to, let’s say, a beach wedding, a mountain hike, or while babysitting hyperactive twins. However, if you’re looking to make a memorable entrance (or exit), by all means, strut your stuff!
Platform mules aren’t just a shoe; they’re a statement. A blend of history, fashion, and sheer audacity. So, the next time someone throws shade at your beloved mules, remember: these shoes have been around longer than their snarky comments. Now, go forth and tower above the rest, you fabulous fashionista!